now first off, when I mention that this is a crazy race, I am in no way exaggerating. this thing is CRAZY. and everyone who signs up is CRAZY to want to do it; they really are - especially the repeat racers. and in the end you think it is the best CRAZY time you could have asked for considering you had to miss a good nights sleep and two days worth of regular meals to do it. what a crazy rush!
I was recruited by John's sister Amber to run with people I had never met. I really only said yes 'cause, well my sister has done it and liked it. and this gal had done it and liked it. and some other gals here I am acquainted with do it every year. it must be fun right? and really I only worried about being ready and disappointing my unknown team mates and just making a fool of myself in general. I am happy to say all went well. my running mates were wonderful and my training paid off - even if my instincts were shy of actually eating a meal at some point during the event! and who needs sleep? oh, yeah apparently I do. a lot of it. just ask John - he knew it even before I collapsed into a heap of uselessness on the bathroom floor.
Paul hanging out in the truck as we support Jason on our first legs.
we lucked out and were sponsored by Magelby Construction, Co. who supplied our race vehicles and the gas to drive the said 181 miles as we supported our team mates and killed ourselves running. THANK YOU Magelby's!
the temps were blazing hot, Amber takes a minute to get drenched on her first run.
Amber passing all those guys as she kills the her most difficult run - she tore it up as she ran 3.5
miles straight up to meet Paul who ran the last 4 and summited the pass.
Jason is THE Ragnar*. This guy ran close to 30 miles, stepping in for another team mate who had to drop due to injury. WAHOO - GO RAGNAR!
This is "The Team Your Momma Warned you About" (well some of us.)
Jason sprints to the exchange fighting for the lead over "Green Shorts" dude.
way to kick some shorts Jason!
Jen models some of the incredible scenery as we wait at the top of the Ragnar run.
Paul takes on the final mile of the Ragnar leg - straight up and over guardsman pass over 4000' elevation change. wicked hard stuff!
if Jason wasn't runnin' he was driving. he was the MC of the event and kept us all laughing and relaxed and ready to roll. Thanks Jason, it was really something to try. this one time. until someone convinces me to do it again next time. like maybe for my birthday. somewhere in Texas. in lower elevations where I could come off like super woman on steroids. now I just need to dig up some wealthy sponsors. any takers, or donors I should say?
*Ragnar (n) in mythology and legend, a man, often of divine ancestry, who is endowed with great courage and strength, celebrated for his bold exploits and favored by the gods.


11 comments:
Woo hoo! San Antonio to Austin in the fall now! JSA and their newly minted partner can sponsor!
Wow, that is intense. congratulations, what a wonderful accomplishment! Way to go!!
I am so proud of you! What an accomplishment.
I had never even heard of this race before this year. Now, I've heard of so many people that I know that joined in the races. What beautiful scenery for the race. Are you signed up for next year? I agree, JSA is a great backer!
Congratulations! What a wonderful accomplishment. You must feel so great about it!
thanks for putting up pics of your race! I'm so proud of you, I hope you had a great time...now if we can just finance one more race entry/flight for you (perhaps those dollars that are flowing now for the remodel...) so you can say you've done it TWICE!
You are awesome Mandee, INSANE, but awesome!
Go Amanda what a great accomplishement! Can't wait to come home and see you guys.xoxox
OK, your post MIGHT have gotten me a little interested, while at the same time I felt butterflies in my stomach. So, I think I will have to look at how much plane tickets would cost to Dallas for us, and see if I could help in convincing your husband that you have money to run this race with KT & I. I guess if I can't get you guys to ride LotoJa as a relay with me this year this would be the second best thing, but I think I will add a stipulation that next year you guys need to ride with me - I don't like to run!
What a time. You have got to feel good about finishing that alive! Congratulations! And thanks for defining Ragnar. I have been wondering about that one.
Wow! You guys are crazy! Congrats on a huge accomplishment!
That's awesome! You are more woman than I!
Post a Comment