Friday, May 2, 2008

butterflies and bathroom fixtures

after posting about our "big news" things seem to have gone down hill in the attitude department at our house. the girls refuse to get along, Ruby is hanging off my legs and screaming if I am not constantly holding her, John and I are spread thinner than ever it seems, and I just can't get a move on packing up the house. so many generous loved ones have brought boxes to donate to our cause and they keep piling up, but not filling up. John's work days are getting longer and out of town commitments are growing - just as things need to be getting done here at home. our house is, well less than clean to say it nicely. why do any heavy cleaning when the floors are going to be history in a matter of days? it sounds like I am doing nothing, YET, my hands are constantly FULL! at the end of each day I just want to cry for the lack of progress and amount of whining and carrying on that has occurred.

the butterflies in my stomach have reached record flutter as I have been running around town and scouring the Internet to select our plumbing fixtures. (I know it seems early but that is the first item that the contractor will ask for when they turn to me for answers.) and we are still holding our breath that our financing will actually fall into place on just the right day for construction to actually begin. I wrote a check yesterday for rent, and took a fresh look at the duplex we will "camp out" in while we wait for new walls and a roof to be built. that is going to get interesting.

and to top it all off spring just won't decide to be spring, dang it! it would help exponentially if the windows could be open and the birds could be singing in the sunshine while my girls enjoyed the fresh air.

what I would really like is to climb back in bed and pretend it's not happening. maybe skip out and get a massage, find a minute to go on a date with my husband, take us all away somewhere for a few days instead, or maybe all of the above. but I can't and so I won't. The only alternative I can see is pulling it together. and that is what I will do.

it's time to release those butterflies and let the stress go. (at least for a minute) so today, I will commit to packing 3 boxes (at least) and aim for 5. I will begin packing away winter, even though winter won't leave us alone, and unpack spring and summer. I will look at this move as if I was camping and only leave out the minimal essentials. and I will buck up and deal with it, while John drives to sunny St. George and back in one day so I don't have to do it all alone tomorrow. Thanks, John.

so rather than checking out - today after play dates have ended and nap time is over, my girls and I are gonna go have a little fun. we all need a little more foot loose and fancy free time. so here's to a fresh day and a new commitment. approaching it with a smile, looking froward to what will be and not just glaring at what now is. I'll check in on those butterflies and bathroom fixtures later. because butterflies released are a more beautiful site to behold - don't you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was so poetic. I wish I could vent as smoothly as that. Ha. ;)

I hope you girls have a fun day, and let the wind in your hair. Maybe soon after the initial stress you will be able to have that massage you need. I admire your positive attitude despite all the butterflies.

Unknown said...

Mandy you can do this!!! You can do hard things! I wish I was there to help you push through. Make lists, but kiss your girls and read them books and give them a few minutes so you all can remember that houses are not as meaningful as the families that live in them...and then put them in front of the tv and pack! I love you and wish i was with you to help!!!!

DeDee said...

You are so cute! The hardest mountains to climb have the best views when you get to the top. You'll get there, and the best part is that your family will make it there with you.