Friday, April 25, 2008

reason #3

we are moving.
if you haven't already heard. and not a typical get all your stuff and go kind of move, so it's a little tricky. we are popping the top on our house - putting up a second story.
I have spent the better part of last week applying for and researching lines of credit. (with much help from my sweet friend DeeDee - Thank You so much!) and this week, having pretty much tied up the financial questions we will now play that waiting game with the underwriters. so my efforts and attention have turned to how high can I really stack the boxes into this room.



and where I can get a hold of more of these items without actually paying for them - bubble wrap is pricey stuff! and determining what should come with us, what can get stored, and what should just get chucked. it is a little comical, if you think about it, that I have to move out of my house so I never actually have to move away. but they say to be careful what you wish for, so I guess I'm learning that lesson now.

you see, after we moved in to our non discript run down little house and got nice and settled; I turned to my architect husband and said, "I am never moving again. so if you decide we need more, you better make it happen at this house." I was sure my constitution could not handle moving our little family. (and it must be noted that the request came in many tones of whining and pleading, not in ultimatum form -this home was scheduled to get flipped a year after we aquired it and three years later we were still sitting pretty. HA!)

so we got to work. the basement came out, new plumbing and walls went in. a new roof, and some new siding, new cement work, step after step of updating and rebuilding a tired old place. all on the premise that we would sell. then gratefully John got attached too. granted it took him three years to my three minutes, but it happened. at least that is what I believe. it could just be the realization that if we did flip, we would end up in the very same situation we would be leaving. a tired new to us house that needs work.




some where the wheels began turning and once in a while we would talk "what if"s" and apparently, then John would sit down at his computer and draw those conversations. suddenly the idea of those house dreams got closer to possible realities. and today I am packing up my 2400 square feet of stuff to live in a 900 square foot rental down the street during these next months. we will be out of our house by May 18th, and our home will literally be missing it's roof by then of the third week of May.
talk about butterflies - that back country race has no comparison here.
who knew Johns grand dreams of architectural bliss, and my dreams of being rooted in one spot, would become the new reality we will live ( or try to live through - not sure how to put that).
but right now my reality is that I have A LOT of packing to do.
I am hoping that by sharing my final reason for being so distracted will bring lots of advice of how to survive it. as if life wasn't too much for me to handle every day already, I guess my constitution is gonna get a work out - I'll keep you posted on that goes.

10 comments:

John said...

Very exciting!

Tyler said...

No advice to share, but how about a drawing of what it will look like?

heidi said...

Oh my gosh that is sooo exciting. You will be so happy!!

I can't wait to hear more about it. Now you have me thinking...

Annie said...

Yeah! We're very excited for you. Our best advice, as I'm sure you'd guess, is 'don't have a baby while you're building!" :) If you think building is stressful, try that one... (wait, no don't try it!) We wish you tons of good fortune, honest contractors, and low prices!!!

Michele said...

It's nice that you found a rental instead of having to move in with mom and dad. I think you all would have been crazy pretty quickly. Good luck on the remodel. I hope it will be fabulous!

Katie said...

I had no idea, wow that is so great.. it's sounds like i need to call you all more often I am really out of the loop. Sorry but love you and good luck and what a fun project-

DeDee said...

I can't wait to see the finished product! Definitely keep us "posted" along the way. It will be a long journey, but worth it. Good luck!

Lisa Cannon said...

I am so excited for you guys. You've talked about doing this for a long time. I am impressed that you are still going to live there! My sister has gutted her house completely - down to the floorboards, and they are in a rental. Good luck to you guys. Keep us posted!

Gayle said...

So, when you have it sort of figured out call us and we will help pack/move to rental etc. I will now start saving all the boxes from the shop for you. I did not realize the need..had lots of them last week...sorry. How else can we help?

Gayle said...

P.S. I am very happy for you, so glad you get to do this! The girls are excited too. I am sure they do not realize how long this will take and what a challenge it will be for all. But the end result will be fantastic! Get John to let you post the way it will look, even though there may be a few changes along the way it will be great for all to see his creative plans.