so I did it, five boxes on Friday and three trips to the D.I. trailer up the street. AND we had two play dates, we got the car washed, purchased a birthday gift, went out for dinner and the dishes were done at the end of the day. not bad for a Fridays work. feels good. it is liberating to realize that if I take just one thing at a time I CAN actually make headway.
packing up these shelves did make me wonder a little. this is where all the craft items I have hoarded for the girls to play in and with for these past five years have been stored. and in the past five months I have pulled out very little of it. either we don't really need it or I need to do a better job of letting them USE it. it is for their benefit I hoard feathers, and beads, stickers, crayons and glue and scissors and itty bitty pieces of tissue paper in a variety of colors. and it is, I know, for the sake of saving myself another mess to clean up I keep it hidden behind these doors. where are my priorities in this?
and this is one of the spots I would proudly display their faces next to ours. but where are the pieces of art work created lovingly by us together? makes me stop and think that as we take on this new adventure and begin again in a new home my priorities need affecting. in so many ways. we get to spend these next few months camping out. the bare essentials plus one or two things. determining what goes with us has been challenging. weeding out what we need verses what we MIGHT want is not easy. but this affords us a chance to really enjoy what we have, and not the unnecessary wants that bog us down.
so, that said, I am excited to spend a grass roots holiday in our tiny apartment; keeping things simple, cooking light and easy and sharing lots of laughs over side walk chalk and bubbles. John and I realized that we should really be moved by next Saturday. we have a ways to go on that front, but it will come. what's more is that as I think of this summer and what it might be like for us; I have reflected that what I REALLY want is smile time from my ladies, and based on some new perspective I am sure we can make it all I could possibly ask for.


8 comments:
We stand at the ready to help. Just ask. I appreciate your positive perspective!
Way to go! It's amazing how feeling overwhelmed can make it so hard to start a big project, but then once you just start doing it, you realize its not as bad as you thought it would be. I can't wait to see how the house looks when its finished. Its very exciting for you all! BTW, do you have dates for Grace's baptism yet? I think I heard the 18th, but I'm not sure if that was correct. Let us know because we wouldn't miss it for the world.
It sounds overwhelming but you are a great gal and it you can do it! It will all be worth it! I love your blog! Love from Aunt Claudia
Wow wonder woman! You are amazing, got tons done and I'm so proud of you..keep up the good work!
It is going to be a long road, but well worth it. I am so excited for you guys. It is so wonderful and I can't wait to see the finished product, because I know what a good architect you have!
you don't need to do Mission: Organization...it looks like you're already there!
BTW...i love the dresses you made your girls! very cute. I wish I had sewing skills.
How is your new temporary home?
Amanda,
I found your blog through a friend. I just wanted to say hello. And also to say thank you for the letter that you sent a long time ago. I have thought a lot about you and that letter over the years. I don't know what else to say that isn't to personal over a blog. But just thank you. And its nice to see that you are living such a good life.
Take care.
-Jenny (Gonzales) Meese
Post a Comment