
John and I have three precious little ladies. The last addition to our family came in October of 2006. She is just rounding 9 months now and man are the milestones flying! Just about a week ago Ruby started scooting/crawling (much to the horror of her sanitation challenged mother). A few days later add waving, a day or two after that she pulls herself up and tries to take a step. today she started clapping. I know I know, all of this is normal, she is not the next baby genius. But she is my last baby. It is suddenly too soon for this to be happening!
I have had the honor of birthing three amazing girls, I am so glad to have been able to savor every little milestone. And to know that this is the last time I will get to enjoy these first milestones, I'm at a loss for how anxious it makes me feel. My sister, Katie, recently expressed some of the same complex feelings about her last - I thought I might be immune and only excited about the freedom these new developments would bring. And I am only surprised and a little dismayed.
I think that looking forward to the fun that is to come is the best and only remedy I have. I know there are so many milestones to come; the kind that start to shape the friendships that will exist between my daughters and me. I AM excited, and keenly awaiting those challenges. And as for these last baby moments, I can only savor and enjoy and do my best to remember these joyful feelings. That is until my girls bring their own babies into this world! After all isn't that what grandkids are for?


1 comment:
I am home from church today with my last (sick) baby, and reading your post actually brought tears to my eyes. I know that Luke is my last, but somehow I don't think I've let that sink in. Having 6 years between the last two, gave me a glimmer of what it will be like to not have anymore. There are so many wonderful things that you get to take part in as they grow. You actually get to watch them turn into responsible human beings. It's pretty weird seeing my 12 year old take control of his life and set goals and so on. So, your right, the best is yet to come. Heidi
Post a Comment