Tuesday, December 2, 2008

late over catch up

a few weeks ago we hosted our first "late over". YIKES. and FUN TIMES!

one of the big reasons I wanted to expand our house was to provide room for lots of bodies. I am praying this is a resource that is utilized especially during their teenage "hang out" phases. I REALLY want to keep them under my thumb as long as possible, and if that means inviting a dozen hyper eight year olds into the house now: so be it. ahem. anyhow.

so as mentioned - a dozen energetic, and amazingly loud, young ladies joined us for some movie fun and lots of treats and popcorn. Grace was in heaven. gratefully John is still twelve at heart and so was very well equipped at keeping everyone entertained with relays up the street, hide and seek, and an impromptu dance fest out on the deck. we watched the flick "Penelope" with Christina Ricci. a new favorite of mine. and the girls seemed to like it as well.

and of course all has to be made fair, so the following week Ella hosted her own five year old version of a late over during a Friday afternoon. a little less noise and fewer bodies, but lots of work just the same. so no pictures to witness the event. and lesson learned; pictures first - then fun times. Ella chose "A Little Princess" to accompany the popcorn and treats - another favorite of mine. (maybe my good taste is actually rubbing off on them. I joke. really. no really!)

my favorite memory - well past the "oly! oly! in come free!" was called for hide and seek, I ran down stairs into our very back bedroom now storage room to retrieve more padding for the still rug less TV room floor. I flipped on the light and yanked on some high up camping pads, as I turned to leave I discovered two still hiding lasses. very well hidden and mighty brave to be hiding in a strange basement room with the lights off! here is to many "late overs" to come! bring it on, but lets get the railings on the deck first!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

can I have a late over with you? no, really, I want one...I'll bring the popcorn and you call our sisters. Let's set a date for say April. I'd love to see Little Princess or Penelope-and I am the best hide and seek hider in the entire Graham family!

I'm not even joking, I'm totally straight faced as I write!

Liz said...

That looks like more fun than a mom should be allowed to have! Your house looks great too. The picture actually helped me understand the layout from other pictures. I just need to come up and see it with my own two eyes!

SHIPP said...

I bet your girls are in heaven. You have the party house now. The pics of your house look awesome!

carrie said...

A late over sounds like a great idea! How fun!

tammy said...

Looks like the late over was a success!!! THe house looks great!!!