Monday, December 1, 2008

I am Glad that I live in this Beautiful World...

last week as my sister in law Michele and her brood were visiting we got to attend a little music class she organized for Grandma April's neighborhood play group. and as it was winding down she had the kids sing "My Heavenly Father Loves Me" a favorite primary song we both share. instantly I was in tears and touched by the little voices singing "Whenever I hear the song of a bird or look at the blue blue sky..... I'm glad that I live in this BEAUTIFUL world, Heavenly Father Created for ME."
I am constantly in awe at the beauty of the world around me. how glorious a morning can be in all it's dawning splendor. the colors of sunset. the crispness of night after a snow storm. the green of the new spring. the blueness of the sky after the cleansing of rain. snow capped mountains, red rock canyons, and rolling waters - my list can only go on and on. my gratitude for the beauty of the earth is great and only growing.
way back in October we ventured to Moab, Utah to escape the painters last visit.
camping in red rock country sounded like a dream escape. and it was.


we were lucky enough to meet up with some neighborhood friends who were heading that direction. Grace in all her braveness called them up, unrehearsed and without prompting, after I mentioned to John that we could connect if we wanted to go to Goblin Valley. John discovered there was an event there and didn't want the crowd. Grace informed them that the spot they planned to visit would be crowded and that they should make their way more east, with us. I was pretty impressed with her 8 years of boldness.


happily they consented - it made the trip even better for our girls. and us too.
Arches and blue sky GALORE.



the scenery was fantastic and interactive.

a riveting and thrilling new world;

of red sand and rock - our car and tent were lined in it.
and somehow I was able to tolerate it. go figure.


and a visit to an old but new watering hole that was too cold for us, but not some of the locals. when John was young he spent many a weekend and vacation with his family around these parts. strangely we have never visited here together. we know we didn't dent what we could explore and we are all looking forward to more adventures in red rock country.









4 comments:

Lisa Cannon said...

I love that primary song as well. Glad that you were able to get a way a bit. I love Moab and I actually think I've been to that watering hole. Way, way back in the singles ward days on a group trip to Moab. Looks like fun!!

Laura Dunaway said...

You are an amazing writer Amanda. I love reading your posts, you write so eloquently. Glad you were able to get away to Moab. I can't believe how big yours and Apking's kids are getting. Wow! Hope you are doing well. We will be in SLC for a week or so for the holidays. I hope we can see each other, even if it's for just a minute. :)

Unknown said...

looks like so much fun Amanda. I hope you'll share this spot with us someday...

Jenny and Josh said...

Southern Utah is the best! If you cry during that primary song you would LOSE it listening to "it passes all my understanding" by Cherie Call. VERY good song!