so this evening, amidst the craziness of bedtime and the clutter of moving boxes (m oh yeah, we're moving this weekend.), there was a knock at our door. one of John's old high school buddies stopped by to use us as Guinea pigs for an invention he is perfecting.
I always enjoy visiting with this friend. he is one of my favorite people to be sure. I have so many fun memories of laughing at his wit, sharing many passionate conversations about politics and the worlds woes, listening to his intense and sincere thoughts, but mostly we all shared sidesplitting fun times. (like the time he ran through a fence to flee from an old girlfriend. no joke.)
after years of growing families and budding professions we don't get to spend time or visit often enough with many of our friends, and that has been the case here. as we sat and neglected our kids to visit and catch up we visited about the regular things - family, houses, the economy. and as we talked I arranged for little ones to slip off to dreamland so we could finish our visit. business aside we kept on visiting and somewhere in the conversation he mentioned he had be "sick". John and I looked at each other in shock - we had no idea and pursued the topic.
surprisingly, for much of the last two months they thought he was dying. Lymphoma to be exact. I am appalled we didn't know.
I sat rapt with attention as I listened with angst of his tale of hospitals and doctors and cancer institutes. he shared little of his journey physically, but focused on the spiritual journey more. I asked if I could share this experience, it really affected me.
during his first visit to a hospital after the diagnosis was made; he thought about what he was feeling toward God. he felt no anger or malice, he honetly believes that you live long enough - you get cancer. but as this situation weighed on him he kept thinking heaven ward and as he pondered he feel asleep and had a dream.
he sat in a comfortable chair in a comfortable room and directly across from him sat God. and as they sat they talked like old friends. they conversed about the world and our friend began asking the many questions that continually racked his brain. questions about politics, gay marriage, church doctrine - home teaching, and so on. finally Heavenly Father said to him "I'm disappointed. you got me here. you can ask me anything you want. ask me something IMPORTANT." taken aback he thought, "but this is important." Heavenly Father replied "these things are just people being people. just issues. that stuff isn't truly important." so our friend thought and said "OK, I've got one then. what is the point?" Heavenly Father looked at him and grinned really big. "you mean life?" our friend responded "yeah, what is this all about, really?" Heavenly Father smiled even more broadly and then he pointed to the T shirt he was wearing. "Life is about LIVING." "really?" said our friend and at that point he began to wake up.
as I sat and listened to him share this dream I was overcome. because isn't it true? if life weren't worth living would any of us have chosen to be here? in this life we are given challenges, obstacles, trials, heartache and pain. "if this roller coaster ride weren't worth the trouble we wouldn't be on the ride." he said tonight. it's all about the ride. because in this life we also find happiness, families, growth, successes, joy and utter fulfillment if we are looking in the right places. some days the ride stinks, others it's the bomb.
our friends experience is a good one - after weeks of assessments and blood draws and scans, he began to improve. his body was healing, and he was doing better. the news came days before his first chemotherapy appointment was scheduled. and he has been blessed with a peace that is visible. I am so grateful he shared that experience. I was strengthened in hearing his visual testimony of what life is about. and it's not about stuff, and it's not about politics, and it's so not about houses. I am guilty of being so wrapped up in our "experience" we lost track of many who matter to us. I mentioned our shock, but not how sad I am that we were not there to support and offer our faith in his behalf.
I am grateful for the ride. I am grateful to go round again and again - each time trying harder to get it just right. I am grateful for second chances and a Loving Heavenly Father who saw that I would need them repeatedly. and I am grateful for this testimony. I will spend my tomorrow enjoying my LIFE. I hope you get to enjoy yours.
in honor of Miss Nie spiritual enlightenment here.
Thursday, September 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
That is actually a favorite talk of mine. I am just mesmerized by this post, his dream. There are so many things going on right now that I have opinions on, and wonder what does really matter? I wonder what really is important. Living life, finding joy...I'm going to try to be better at it. Thanks Amanda!
Isn't that the truth! We get so busy in the day to day, we often miss the joy of our journey. Thanks for the reminder!
what a beautiful story. I love reminders like this!
This is a great post...what a great reminder to live life.
-Hopefully you don't think I'm totally crazy for reading your blog :)
That is an inspirational story. It's a good reminder for all of us to live life to the fullest and not to dwell on what's not important.
Wow. But it is so true. Politics, money, jobs - they come and go. But life - that happens everyday and is completely up to us. What an awesome message. Love you guys!
Mandy,
Thanks for beautifully sharing! Well expressed my friend:)! Ryan agrees and is to say the least, moved. Hopefully some good can come from his experience.
xoxo
Michelle D.
Thanks for this post.
It did my heart good.
Love your blog.
-Jen
Amanda,
I thought this article would be of interest to you. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081006/ap_on_he_me/med_exotic_pets
Serena
How inspiring! THanks for sharing!
Post a Comment