so I promised to reveal what has kept me from posting regularly. and in thinking it over there have been several reasons. and really this is wonderful, since I know you love to hear me go on and on about my life. so now I can stretch it out. each reason alone is not a big deal, but we all know my plate is pretty small, so putting it all together makes it a whopper.
I signed up for a race. to run, what sounds to me, a crazy long distance, in three separate legs, over a twenty four hour period, with a group of people I don't know. just stating this "out loud" makes me want to curl up in a ball or vomit, not sure which would be better. the race is the Wasatch Back Relay race, and since I am a total wimp and have not run farther than three or four miles at a time, running 12 to 15 sounds hard, doing it on little or no rest in the dark is panic city. but I am doing it and am looking forward to getting it under my belt. I was recruited by my sister in law who can easily run crazy long distances without breaking a sweat. she knew I wanted to be able to go that kind of distance and so she offered the spot to me - how could I not go for a goal I have been wanting to check off my list?
I hadn't been running at all, so saying yes to this was a BIG deal. and because I hadn't run in months, or more realistically in years I had to start from scratch. which means I am a walking zombie for several weeks. I am certain that if my brain functions were measured when I begin a workout routine from my normal couch potato state, it would be no surprise that not much is going on upstairs. and it really takes me awhile before my body adjusts sleep schedules and acclimates to large amounts of heavy breathing and muscle stress. hence reason #1.
although my training has been spotty at best I am finally starting to feel like I am gaining in some areas. and I have finally realized I have got to find work out buddies to keep me on my toes and help me push. so starting this morning I tagged along on a swim with some gals who are training for their first triathlon. it made me a little sad I wasn't training for that purpose, but there will still be time come summer. we did an early morning swim which is the perfect cross training for anyone if you ask me. I was lapped several times by my friend, but for my first day I am just happy to have gone. from here I hope to report many miles of running, some serious swimming, and maybe a bike ride or two, here is hoping - wish me luck!


11 comments:
Way to go!! I have always thought that race sounded fun, but really intimidating! If you ever want a running buddy, I need to be up for it so give me a call!
that's so great. nothing like a race to keep you motivated. I'm feeling slightly inspired, hopefully the feeling will pass and I can go back to blissful couch potato land. Hahaha.
Oh dear, KT will be so sad not to be joining you in this. We've thought of flying up to SLC to run this again this year. It has been a highlight for us the last two years.
Hey wait! I thought they didn't have room on their team! Or was it that they didn't have room for chubby slothful me? :)
Glad to see you are doing this, bummed I am not doing this with you (surprisingly enough, I am indeed bummed). If you need a running partner I am almost always available!
Yea, I'm available too, just far away...
J., lets get a team together and do this thang-I need a reason to train!
Wow, I am so impressed Amanda. That takes a lot of endurance! Good luck, I know you can do it.
By the way, those dresses you made are adorable!
Good for you! I've just started running myself, I am "training" to run a 10K in October. When I am in Utah this next week maybe we can go running together. And KT and J if you need another person for your team next year I would love to do it with you (that is if I am not pregos next year).
I think you are all NUTS!! I am a believer in keeping your self healthy and fit and all that. But personally I think this race is a crazy fest :) (I still love you crazies). I on the other hand am training for a 5K to support breast cancer research. I ran the whole distance for the first time last Saturday; I kept up with the other girls and was very proud of myself. That is just over 3 miles, and I thought I was going to die by the end of it. So good luck Amanda, my hat is off to you. But just to make it very clear to all of my sisters do not ever ask me to participate in your insanity! :)
Far out! I love this stuff. Best of luck you two!
That's awesome! I have a friend that ran it last year and she said it was a BLAST. She is planning to do it again.
OH,MY GOODNESS! I know you can do it...but I also know many other things on your HAVE to do list beween now and this race! Have you found the ability to split yourself into wo o more people, hus accomplishing more in a 24 hou period
Post a Comment