Friday, November 23, 2007

Abalone Cove



the entire drive to California Grace and Ella constantly asked WHEN they would be able to go to the beach and play in the sand. it was the number 1 thing to do on their list, and they were excited about the entire list.
so, being the controlling mother that I am, we had to find a different kind of beach to visit. something less ordinary and more interactive. Johnny hit the jackpot when he found directions to Abalone (aa-baa-lone-y) Cove. this beach requires a half mile hike straight down (or up) going and coming and then another quarter mile plus walk down the beach to reach the treasure point. Grace and Ella hit the sand running toward the water only to stop dead in their tracks by bright green algae topping the surf. Ella was terrified. she wouldn't go near the waters edge for quite a while. down the beach at the tide pools was considerably more clear and eventually each daughter took the chance to mingle with real wild sea life and hunt up some fabulous rocks and shells. every collectors dream. of course we didn't take any from the preserve, we're not terrible like that. (ahem.) John loved looking for star fish with the girls and hunting up hermit crabs and sea anemones. I was loving taking pictures and exploring some new photography knowledge - maybe I'll share some of what I learned later.








I loved seeing how brave the girls became as we mingled among the tide pools and played on the rocks. Grace even held a star fish john coaxed off a rock.
if you're looking for fall color in California try searching out the star fish! I wonder if they change color with the seasons too?!








5 comments:

Unknown said...

yes, do share the photography tips; I can use all the tips I can get-trying to become a better pic taker, especially here while in Africa. The beach looks absolutely amazing, reminds me of the beach we played at in Oregon a few years ago; tons of awesome tide pools and fantastic sea life. I love those kinds of beaches, glad you had fun! we actually are taking our kids to Durban next weekend to lay in the sand and play in the waves, hope it is fun for them!

Lisa Cannon said...

That beach looks so fun. I'll have to remember it next time we are in socal. What fun!!!

heidi said...

these pictures are so great. looks like a successful beach trip.

Gayle said...

Beautiful photos and beautiful people. Wonderful experience for the girls

Laura Dunaway said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip. Looking forward to seeing you next month.