
When I was 14 years old, I was given one of the greatest gifts of my entire life. Her name is Melyssa. At that young age I had no idea she would become one of my brightest treasures. When I first met Missy I was just starting to figure out who I was. I had always been one step behind or just outside every group of friends I had tried to attach to. I expected nothing less when I began to cling to her friendship, but rather than hold me at arms length she embraced everything about me. Even all those things I didn't quite know and understand, myself. She opened my world and shared inspiring and stimulating experiences. She always encouraged me to be myself and express whoever that was.
As we got older she also kept me grounded. Discovering boys, longing for a bigger world, new ideas, exploring new found freedoms. Melyssa was always there for me, present and constant in our changing worlds. As we both explored new avenues of life, we always came back to each other on the same level ground to share experiences without judgement or circumstance. She taught me what true friendship could be and shared an example of self respect and above all a love of self, by sharing her selflessness. Always forgiving and forever endearing, she has been a shining truth in my life, she is my sweetest oldest true friend.
I regret, though, that I have taken advantage of my friend. My world has become increasingly smaller as I focus on my little family and I have felt that our level ground has slipped and she is miles above me in all aspects of life. Now, almost 20 years later, I am failing in my diligence to my friend. And although I am falling short, she never has. Not a birthday goes by without a note or a call and little reminders of her love for me. Melyssa has been immensely successful in everything she's done, and above all she is a success in my heart of hearts.
Melyssa you are my unexpected miracle. Thank you.
Kishiki, Missy - always.


6 comments:
Isn't it nice that someone comes along in life to lift us up? I too have only a small handful of people like that to thank. They are very rare and when they come along, usually they are there for life. I also believe that they are placed in our paths for a reason. Thank you for sharing that.
I'm moved by your regardful and generous thoughts of your friend. You're an awesome person, and I look up to you for everything I see in you.
Your Family Loves missy too! Whay is she up to? Where does she live? Does she have a blog, if not you should tell her to get one cause the whole Hadfield Clan wants to say hi!
Amanda, you have a beautiful way with words. Writing is definitely a talent.
Serena
I am honored, and it should be said that the thank you is all mine! (How would I have been able to make it through those years and Shakespeare classes with a smile on my face without you?) Mandee, you are a great friend. We are lucky to have each other. I respect you so much and think the world of you!
Amanda,
Read my blog for today. I am wondering if you are related to Martha Spence Heywood?
Serena
Post a Comment