Christmas is here with a vengeance and I love it.
this year we have opted to do things simply.
we are taking advantage of this year of change and making it our theme.
our focus is on investing ourselves in Christmas, not the other way around.
and to shake things up we have added a new tradition. last year I spent the bulk of my December making paper chains to add some festive to our rather blank walls. all year I have lamented that I sunk so much effort into something that by nature just wouldn't last. this year I put my efforts into this. and I rather like it. this is our new advent calendar.
last year I read my sister in laws plan to make December focused and fun. I have shamelessly implemented this great tradition for our own. and dragged my sister along with me.
each morning we gather at the advent and read the planned activity for the day.
so far it is a huge hit. we have counted down the days until Christmas with much gusto. the girls like it so much they have been known to read several days in advance. regardless they still look forward to it. we have gone elaborate - leaving school early to attend the Festival of Tress for a dance performance. but mostly simple; looking for ways to serve others, making our gifts for family and friends, watching a new Christmas flick together. to add to our holiday we are doing our best to make what we can to fill our stockings and gift boxes. another new to us tradition.
and now we are up to our elbows in Christmas making. can't wait to share!
happy advent-ing!


10 comments:
The flags are cute-could you explain in detail how you use them? Thanks!
Love it Amanda! Your flags are so great. This year we are doing the twelve days of Christmas instead of the whole month - I've been so busy working. But I love the idea of building memories that are Christ centered rather than Santa centered. We will miss you guys this year!
What sweet ideas! I've never been a very big Christmas, but I bet I could get a little more in to it if my family did all of these things.
I love this idea! Next year I'll implement this for a tradition at our home. What a good idea to invest ourselves into Christmas - not the other way around. As always, way cute!
Mchelle
Nikki - I have lost all my email so I hope this finds you. every morning we read about our "activity" for the day. this way we are activly participating in the season rather than activly participating in what might be wrapped up for us under the tree. which this year won't be more than we can make. it's been a gem.
Oh, you just reminded me of the anvent activities, scriptures, songs and treats we did last year. I have done nothing this year and feel like I have missed my chance. I hope this week will be better. See you soon!
Darling idea. Sounds like your Christmas is Merry already!
Cute ideas! It was great seeing you! :)
I love that and just might steal the idea...now how would I purchase such a cute flag/banner for the calendar??
Hey, it was so good to see you. I wish we were closer so we could do more playing! Happy New Year!
Post a Comment