several months ago Johnny's parents read this great book.
and as a result they became vegetarians.
over night.
cold turkey. (no pun intended)
they proceeded to buy a copy of the book for each family, friend, and neighbor who inquired about their new endeavor. and it has taken me months to actually read the thing. due to the fact that we thought we had our health well in hand. I mean, I wasn't over weight. and John was now helathy as a horse. we lived a healthful life. or so we thought.
and truth be told, I still haven't read that one, but I did read THIS one. another gift from them. because what parent wouldn't want to disease proof their child? and I have learned A LOT. and hope to continue to learn more as I ease our family into better eating habits. and it's working! my example, however crazy it might be, has made an impact. sharing why I am eating differently and why they should too is sinking into the young minds in our homes. they are trying new things. and simply making our vegetable the main event at dinner, making sure there is a veggie included in lunch as well as a fruit, and sharing information on why we don't eat cold cereal anymore is making it easier on all of us. sans the 2 year old who continually says "I never like to eat THAT" about any veggie put in her path. but I am not deterred!
you can read a little more about Dr. Fuhrman and his philosphies on his website. just click HERE.
my baby sis requested some recipes, and although I am new at this I am happy to have a bigger audience to help me try some of these out. what do you think? I will post new to me and you recipes here and we can all review and see what to keep and what to toss? I really like this idea and hope you will all join me! I am also learning that eating this way is actually less expensive. since I don't spend boat loads on meat every week. and as I mentioned we are eating fish, but if you are savvy you can find great bargains on these as well.
my first go to's have been veggie sauce over quinoa pasta, a favorite before this endeavor began. hummus is oh so delicious in a wrap with spinach, cilantro, peppers, cucumber, tomatos, any delicous fresh from the garden fair. my sister in law makes a delicous summer succotash, all year round! and a home made veggie abundant stir fry is my girls almost favorite over mostly brown rice. I'll share that EASY recipe next time I think. and it's easy to throw together a veggie filled spinach salad, with a little salmon up top, with only a bit of lemon juice and salt and pepper.
this week I have been pondering items that could be meat "replacements" in a meal. my first thought was mushrooms. these are banned from my candida diet, but many of you could give them a go - portobello mushroom "burgers" are oh so tasty. and the veggie stack at Cannella's, oh yummy. go out and order one in my honor today, would you? my next thought was EGGPLANT. this one I can do, and with some gusto. here are a few recipes I am anxious to try. I hope you might see something you'd like to try too. click on the links to see the full recipes - the pictures alone make my mouth water.
- an hors durve - seared baby eggplant with mozzarella and basil infused olive oil.
- a lunch, or easy dinner - the medditeranian pressed picnic sandwhich OR the spanish roasted vegetable sandwhich.
- an easy side or main dish - roasted vegetable salad.
- and for all those over achievers, there has to be one out there - vegan moussaka. this looks so amazingly good!
don't be afraid to substitute for flavors you might prefer. and please either comment or email your result and review. can't wait to try these along with you, happy food adventuring!


4 comments:
So you can do cheese? What types of fish do you like? Do you do shell fish or only fresh water?
Please please please get a some what measurable receipe of Jenny"succatash! Please. we loved it but really need a bit of help here.
Amanda, you are an inspiration. I'm going to try out some of these recipes.
Hi Amanda! Some of the foods you're eating sound so delicious! And the pictures are fantastic. Did you take them? What did you use to edit them?
I have so many things I would love to converse with you about on food. I wish I could see you in person again! I'll try to compose a somewhat coherent e-mail on all the things we talked about when I was there.
As far as meat replacers, did you ever see the recipe for sweet potato burgers on my web site? They are very yummy, if sweet potatoes happen to be in your food plan...
Post a Comment