Wednesday, December 31, 2008

recapping Christmas 2008

in the past six years or so I have been less and less prepared where Christmas is concerned. last year was a particularly bad year for me - way too much running around and needing to get too much done, when all it should be is a celebration of the Greatest Gift mankind will ever receive. more and more I feel sad I haven't been organized to be more focused.

this time 'round I set the bar lower and still didn't rise to the occasion - but I think that is really why we have New Year Resolutions, because so much can fall through the cracks around Christmas. I have been longing for a simple fulfilling Christmas for a long while, and this year almost hit the mark. plenty of gifts, and promises of more that lay unfinished at the sewing table. but, I feel happy to look forward to those during these quiet afternoons while the littlest angel learns to nap again.
when it comes down to it, I look forward and am grateful for those second chances. to try anew to make the holiday what I want it to be for my lovelies. and I have all year now to begin to make it so. a refreshing thought but not a new one - we are all given a second chance, or third or twentieth each day of our lives. and Heaven knows I need it not just at Christmas.

some high lights of our Holiday include, playing hookie from sewing to run errands with that good looking fellow I live with. an "adult" memory maker for her, in lieu of that requested lap top. wonderful Christmas musical performances. family pictures and Christmas Cards, well wishes from friends and loved ones.

roller skates for the budding ice princess, to practice balance and control.
live nativities - public and private. family dinners, Grandparents attention and love. new treats to bake and traditions to add. trying our hand at luminaries for the neighborhood.


dollies and strollers galore.
craft boxes, crochet books, games, cousins, the promise of MORE cousins. at the insistence of our daughters watching Mr. Kruegars Christmas on Christmas Eve along with a realistic enactment of the Reason we celebrate the season.


skiing on Christmas Eve with friends. breakfast with the entire family in our home Christmas Morning was my favorite; look for this tradition to last a long time, I hope!


a Nutcracker performance for the older dainties in new Christmas dresses - notice the little one realizing she isn't invited... a few more Christmas' to wait. memories of snow and goodness and a reprieve from the daily pressures that cloud our existence. it has been a nice pause in the regular.

and lots and lots and LOTS of decorating and celebrating inspiration. time to make a plan so next year I can implement the myriad of ideas swimming in the back of my mind. this year it was paper chains, a fun activity during a movie or two. or three. and if I can make and keep a plan (oh, brother.) lots of fun projects to accomplish before next years festivities begin - stockings that will hold a CD, a tree skirt that's complete, and an advent to keep our celebration focused. here is to keeping Christmas in our hearts all year long.








2 comments:

heidi said...

it sounds like that amongst all the hustle and bustle, you managed to have a magical holiday! sounds so nice.

Unknown said...

what's with all the "wish I got that done???!!!" it looks awesome. More and more my resolutions are to let go of the stuff I didn't get to, because I'm the only one who notices it didn't get done. Everyone else is enjoying what did happen, and I'm left wanting...not worth it any more. Can't wait to be part of all of that fun next year. I'm eager to get home.