Monday, January 21, 2008

brag rag

so it is official. I am going to start a brag rag for myself. it may be motivating, it may be self destructive, but it seems fun. so here I begin. on friday, after we shed our pajama's (finally), we headed in search of some birthday gifts for two of Ella's friends.
she was anxious to buy them a "good" jump rope.
off to the toy store we went.
with jump rope, hoppy taw, jax, and a slinky in hand we put together a rather decent variety gift.
the last item needed - a cute bag to put them in, an item not hard to find in previous instances.
nothing.
so off to the fabric store we bolt.
making a bag seemed to be so much easier than criss crossing the city looking with three chitlins in tow.
30 minutes in a fabric store while two of my three played tag in the eisles cured me of finding the perfect fabrics.
next, home to see what was in my pile of "to do" fabrics. notice I said "to do" pile and not scrap pile. yeah, that is me always planning never executing.
there was plenty I could "make do with" and so two darling pink polka dot bags were produced just in time for each birthday party.
all was glorious.

enter daughter #1.
"mom, why don't you have a bag for me? I want a bag. please please please!"
well, bags 1 and 2 were very simple and I could make another.
and while we await return of daughter #2 from said parties, why not?
daughter #2 "well, if she gets a bag I get one too, right?"
in the name of all things fair, sure, I guess.

after a quick stop to our gifted quilting grandmas house to pick through her scraps (see she has scraps, not just to do piles) and one last dash to a fabric store. VOILA! church/scripture bags.




daughter #1 was very specific in how she wanted things done. daughter #2 was less specific but more picky with the final product. in the end I think they are both happy. at least it will save us weighing down the stroller with all their extra junk, I mean scriptures. and now they both have their own set of coloring tools and notebooks to color in. can this possibly be the answer to the everlasting question of how to keep them quiet during church. I am no miracle worker, but here is hoping!


















she looks like a happy customer, and I am happy to have something to brag about. yay me!
it has me scheming to make one for myself, a little bigger and with pockets. can I possibly do it before my pending trip to SEATTLE on Saturday?!! wish me luck - I am really gonna need it!





16 comments:

heidi said...

these are DARLING!! You are very creative! Glad it all turned out great. Seattle?? Is this a no kid trip?

Michele said...

So cute! Pattern? I know I said no new projects, but I can still put this at the bottom of the pile!

amanda jane said...

yes, no kids. AND no hubby - look out Seattle!

Jessica said...

What! You can sew? You know this just means you are going to have to teach me how, I certainly can't whip up bags like that.

Gayle said...

Wow, WOW. Wow! I want one , I want one...after you get back from Seattle...but please, please PLEASE~ Your loving Mother

Lisa Cannon said...

Those bags are darling, you did a great job! I wish that I knew how to sew well. Maybe someday!!

Lisa Cannon said...

Oh, have FUN in Seattle!!!

Anonymous said...

Those are really cute, Amanda. I like the vibrant fabric. Way to go!

Molly said...

What darling bags! They would be such darling YW Bday gifts...or primary!!:) Thanks for stopping by our blog...you truly are such a great VT and friend!

Katie said...

I love them, I want one too. I would love to know how you made them I need patterns. XOXO

Annie said...

Oh they're so cute! Good job. I would love to whipe stiff up like that!

The Hills... said...

How fun. We are going to work on some tote bags in relief society this month. I love making stuff like that!

Tami said...

Ok, Amanda I don't want a scripture bag, though they are adorable. I have a favor to ask of you. Could you give me a call?
916.482.4475

Thanks,
Dan

Katie said...

this does not look easy to me. You are amazing. Great job! Hope your trip was fantastic-what fun to hang with the girls in Seattle...love you, can I have a bag?

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I love the blue and red one. How as Seattle?