after living in Sacramento and then a stint in Bakersfield they decided to move out of the haze and settle in Coarsegold, CA. They live a whopping 40 minutes south of Yosemite National Park, one of the big reasons they chose to move here. They love being outdoors.
John was so thrilled to see this house come to fruition. not only does the design fit into his favorite category, but it is also a green home, at the insistence/persistence of Shane and Anne. John and Shane researched a variety of building materials, Shane wanted to try hay bales originally, but they finally settled on these foam filled "blocks" and wall sections (you can ask them for the actual terminology, I still think of it all in terms of Lincoln logs and Lego's). You would never know that this house was built differently, but the insulation factors are amazing.
The other really amazing factor is Shane built it himself - no contractor, not even an architect near enough to stop by occasionally and check it out. He did a fabulous job, and is still doing a fabulous job as John and he are still coming up with details to add and he is still doing the finish work. the opportunity to get the stucco painted has not presented itself, but I think you can see how well this home will blend into its surrounding once they get to that. I am filled with wonder as I look at how hard it must have been, so much braver than I would be
this is the view from the master bedroom - I envy their balcony. they have often slept "out" since they moved into the house! most morning their yard is dotted with deer, and I heard more than one coyote howling at the night sky while we were visiting.

these shots are of the great room/common area of the house. Anne stained their concrete flooring all by herself. I love the light in these rooms - I love that they can live without window coverings, for lack of immediate neighbors.



7 comments:
I love this. How amazing that people can actually want for something and then accomplish it.
I wish I could be that strong in my convictions and live the way I know I should.
The home is beautiful!!
Their home is beautiful! Johnny did a great job and good for them for doing their part as we all should!
Good job Johnny! Do they have a water catchment system? This is a dream of mine to live off the grid, and in such a fashionable way! :)
Holy cow, you guys have been SO busy! I can barely keep up with your posts! Disneyland, Yosemite, the cool kids museum. Looks like you had a blast! I love the sand car by the way!
I also love the house! I bet it was so neat for Johnny to see his project come to life!
That Barrow guy is a lunatic. You guys should be careful who you associate with!
So when you live "off the grid" what happens to the stuff you flush?? Septic tank??
Wow, that is really great! I want to make our house more green. Do they like the concrete floors? Are they heated?
Serena
Post a Comment