Monday, October 8, 2007

Ruby's Turn



As I previously mentioned Ruby actually got sick first. She lost a considerable amount of her appetite (she is a big eater) but she kept pluggin', never giving up on consuming something. After a week of terrible diapers and lots of diaper cream she started to show improvement. Especially the two days after Ella was home - everything seemed to be getting back to normal. She started to be a little less needy, eating better and getting mobile again. I noticed she looked a little tired - you know puffy around her eyes, but figured that was due to a change in her nap habits. To make a very long story a bit shorter, my little house of cards, my dreams of us all being over this scattered rather easily. And this face is the reason why!
Notice the IV line and several inches of wrapping around her bitty hand. Her eyes red with crying - mine were almost as bad, so grateful John was there to hold her when all I could do was cry. After talking with 3 different doctors each making this situation look a little more bleak we finally made it to her "jail cell" or the room she would be confined to for the duration of our stay. That was just after 2 a.m. Enter new doctors, nurses just doing their job, more blood draws and lots and lots of questions - that night seemed never ending. needless to say we didn't get much sleep the next 24 hours, but had we waited until morning to show up we may not have gotten such a great team of caregivers, who I truly believe watched out for our baby vigilantly and valiantly.
The bottom line Ruby has Hemalytik Uritik Syndrome a complication to E Coli 1057S (I think). The doctors were certain she would need blood transfusions and dialysis, even if this were just a mild case. Fortunately for us they didn't know Ruby or her family of support and what we could dish out against such horrible odds!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow, that just doesn't even look like our sweet 1 year old. I am so grateful her little body was so strong and fought this off!

heidi said...

she looks so sick in that picture. I can't imagine what your emotions were, and still are. I am glad things turned, and I hope we are able to meet when you come to Cali.

John said...

We're so happy you are better, Ruby!

Potters said...

How is she doing now? Mom said she had started throwing up again?

Serena

amanda jane said...

RUBY is great. We did have a little set back last week, but I am thinking it was actually unrelated. It was over in 24 hours and her appettit is better than ever. She seems more than herself lately and we are happy to see her back to normal. The results of her last blood tests haven't come back yet, but I am very optimistic. We are all looking forward to putting this all behind us - I will try to email an update when we have the results! Thanks for keeping her in mind, we are so grateful.

Jenny and Josh said...

I hardly recognized her! I am so glad she is back to normal. I love seeing her smile!