



Once we had been left to sleep for a few hours I hoped a new day would bring better news. We woke up to more of the same with one shining exception. Our nurse Katharine. We were very fortunate to have her everyday for the 3 full days we hung out at the hospital. And hang out we did. In between doctors visits, taking her vitals and blood draws we cuddled and played and talked with Katharine. isn't she so gorgeous? She was truly a saving grace for me. To be able to talk familiarly about what had transpired during Ruby's stay as well as feel she was advocating for Ruby's freedom (not being hooked up to monitors ALL day long) and help me stay sane by talking to me about OTHER things. A HUGE Thank you to her for her sweet friendship and her determination to make friends with Ruby before we left.
Because Ruby was positive for E coli she was not allowed to leave her room. And every time a nurse or doctor entered her room they had to wear a big yellow gown and of course rubber gloves. I fully acknowledge that this was for the health of all the patients in this unit/hospital as well as my sweet little girls health, too. But I am certain her nightmares will come in the form of big yellow monsters with needles for fingers, but I digress. So this is why we called it Ruby's Jail Cell - the crib really cinched that! One thing she loved to do was "Clean" her crib to kill time, she did not get that from my DNA but I love to see that tendency. She loved playing in the bath tub - thought that was the best toy ever. She would walk it (push it) from one end of the room to the other and stop to climb inside each time, then do it again! Grace and Ella loved to visit, of course they thought we were on vacation or something, but it was nice to have us all together for just a bit each day.
All in all if we had to have this hit our family we did it pretty well. One night with Ella and three for Ruby, doesn't add up to the 10 days to 2 weeks they promised when she was admitted. She handled this so well, by the second day of our 3 day stay doctors wondered if she really had H.U.S at all. When you look at the evidence it's all there, she was just protected by a sweet group of faithful friends. Thank you all! (again)
We have been home for a little over a week, and things just keep looking better and better. One more round of tests to see where we stand - everyone pray for a negative E coli, you guys are powerful! Ruby is as normal as she can be and you would never know the fright she put everyone through. So glad to be on this side of things and to have a healthy child to cuddle. My heart goes out to all those sweet moms who looked just as worried over their babies as I felt. I won't forget to pray for them too. Thanks again for your help to bring Ruby home and keep her on the mend!


2 comments:
Mandy! I can't imagine what you felt and went through these past few weeks. I am amazed by you and so happy to hear that Ruby is doing better and that Ella seems recovered. You are right, there are so many who have such great faith in your life.You are one of them!
I heard she had her birthday-happy birthday Ruby! I want to see pictures from her party. We'll keep praying for good results.
Love,
Nikki
Post a Comment