
In my short 30 odd years I have had the opportunity to move just twice, that I remember. Once was from my childhood home to our new married home, and again from that house to our current abode. And each time we have moved only a few city blocks, respectively. I expect to live in this house for the next ten years of my life at least, while our kids navigate three different school levels and then begin looking into college. I cannot foresee my husband ending his love affair with the cold white stuff that graces these great canyons each winter season. So I never expect to live anywhere but right here in good old SLC.
My older sister Katie and her amazing husband and six children have, on the other hand, made adventure the practice. First leaving the great Wasatch Mountains for Chicago and an MBA and from there Texas, Sweden, Boise, back here for a minute and now off to Johannesburg, South Africa. And that doesn't include all the extra traveling in between moves. WOW, right? I have always been some what envious of my sisters experiences. I used to dream of all the places I wanted to visit and explore, and I still do. But, I have to say that had my sister never moved to these places I would never have visited any of them, either. So you could say I have been living vicariously through my older sister for a very LONG time. And it's not just about new adventure. She has her own great style, patience with her children, a knack for detail, an ease with new people that reflects her confidence, a determination to be all that, and hundreds of miles logged on her bike, her feet, and in the pool. I often wonder if we really came from the same gene pool at all.
Their last move brought them to Salt Lake, or Holladay to be more exact. What a dream it was to have her so close by! I could enjoy her company frequently and our children could play to their hearts content. Oh what bliss. But as a new and fabulous opportunity came their way, that good thing had to change. I am excited for them and so grateful for the chance to have lived so near them for these last two years.
I have found my closest friends are my sisters. That may be because they can't escape me, but I like to think it's because we understand each other on a level no one else ever could. (sorry hubbies, women need other women.) And those feelings are, of course strengthened when you can physically spend time together. When this opportunity dropped in their lap they turned to my younger sister Jessica and said "hey, wanna come too?" So that meant two friends were going. My two closest friends.
A week before their departure, I came home to find a sweet parting gift on my table. I had admired a bracelet Katie recently purchased and she gifted one to me. When I called to thank her she said that she wanted me to look at the way is was linked together. That we were sisters and therefore we were likewise linked together. No matter the distance we would always be tied by friendship and that the bracelet was a reminder of that sisterhood. I am reminded everyday. I miss you, thank you for your friendship and love. I am grateful for the unbreakable links to all of my sisters. And the constant reminder that no matter where we are, we are not alone. Even if miles divide us, we are in one anothers' hearts and on each others minds.
I am also grateful for these past two years to be near my older sister. In this time I have grown immensely because of her. She has encouraged me as a wife, and mother, and friend. Shared her example and determination to excel in everything she does. I am grateful for the many ways my life is enriched because of her, and will continue to be. She will always be "all that" to me. Thank you Katie - miles will never divide us!


5 comments:
You have a beautiful way of writing about things that are dear to you. It makes me want a whole family of sisters. I wish my daughter had a sister, maybe she'll grow up and have great relationships with her brothers.
I have no words Mandy. I love you beyond them. I'm glad you remember the meaning of our shared bracelet. I wear mine always.
So beautiful! You too have a wonderful way with words. I love you all so much and am so proud of you all. Amanda, as my constant you are my brick! thank you ,sweetheart. You have a dear heart! Love Mom
Wonderful post. It's hard to be the ogre that carried her off...
John - you are a Saint, NOT an oger. And for the record, if you were and oger if katie loved it wouldn't matter where you carried her.
Post a Comment