Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Alpine Slide























Since I was a little girl, my family has taken time every year to escape the city and stay a week in Park City, Utah. This began long before going to Park City was an every day kind of thing to do. Way before The Sundance Film Festival, Outlet Stores, or "world class resorts" were even dreamed up. Back when the town was still pretty small and main street was only one or two city blocks, my parents bought into the Sweet Water Time share. Every year in mid August we would load into the family van/suburban for our traditional "family vacation". We would spend a week swimming in the "indoor/outdoor" pool, shopping for our souvenir Tshirts on Main Street, and riding the Alpine Slide.

As we got older and the school year got longer, riding the slide became our official end of summer activity. I have vivid memories of riding the slide with my dad, my first solo ride, going with dates, and now with my own little family. I have wondered, recently, if this slide is the real reason my brothers and sisters and I have such an affinity for roller coasters. There's nothing quite like propelling yourself down the mountain side on a rickety sled as you slide around the track trying to reach the bottom in record time. I still look forward to it every year as John and I have shared this tradition with our daughters. Summer can not end without a ride on the original Alpine Slide in Park City.

This year we added a little to tradition and tried the trampolines. What can top the thrill of the slide better than jumping 20 feet in the air and spinning back flips? (roller coaster junkies in training everyone.)




1 comment:

amanda jane said...

Disclaimer: I lost the picture of Ella on the trampoline. So I will repost the trampoline pics. I am wondering if I'll ever get the hang of some of this!