Monday, July 9, 2007

Obsessing


I have an obsession (well, not just one). In hopes of freeing myself from the ball and chain that this guilty pleasure has become; I am taking this first step and admitting this is a problem. a BIG one.

I know that many of you have read this book some what recently. Many of you may even be awaiting the arrival of the the third installment of the series coming in August (the 7th to be exact). I have now accumulatively read these two books (yes both of them) 3 and a half times in the last two months. This is a debilitating problem. Rather than getting up early and taking care of real life I have been staying up late and reading - no rereading - about an imaginary high school couple who are dysfunctionally functional and totally in love. I have found myself moving the book from one spot to another only to flip it open along the way and get sucked in, losing hours of my own daily life.

Maybe the problem lies in that I too fell in love, in high school, with my soul mate. I shared many of the same feelings the heroine expresses about her new love. I love her confidence and intelligence. And I feel motivated by her character to expand myself in ways I know have been over looked far too long. I am also in love with the stories hero (who isn't?). And it's not just his chivalrous attitudes and romantic manner, but also his self sacrifice (in more than the obvious way) and determination. For whatever reason I am grateful that I love them and can enjoy their imaginary lives. But, the time has come to let go and so I am trying.

Obsessions are a problem for me - I am O.C.D. in many little areas of my hum drum life. Areas that are insignificant and in no way beneficial to my job as a mother and home maker. Today is the Day I will stop obsessing over this thing, at least. On that note I am heading to the library to check out something new. I plan to practice control as I read the next selection. I'm hopeful that it is possible for me to over come this short coming. And if I can stop somewhere along the way to lend this book to the next unsuspecting victim all the better. Any takers?

6 comments:

Jenny and Josh said...

ME! Of course me! Duh! I will gladly take the books off your hands so I can read something that makes me feel less weird about the fact that Josh and I were fighting like a married couple before I even got to my senior year of Highschool :). But I doubt I will read them more then once. It is amazing when I get through a book once, wanting to read it again would be a new experience for me. So give them to me and we will see if they are really as hypnotic as you say they are. -Jenny
P.S. I finally posted something on my blog! www.jjstout2.blogspot.com

Tyler said...

Ok so I read these books last fall and I fell in love with them. I bought both books and would frequently check out stephanie the authors web page and read about the books so I could get more. I am so looking forward to the next one. counting down the days. I love that you read them so many times you are the best. What a great love story it really dose take you back to your high school/first love!!

Tyler said...

Oh by the way that was me Katie not Tyler. Tyler sat and teased our book club when he found out about the story of these books but he loved how much I was into reading.

heidi said...

I love to read also. But in my case, I have to be very selective when I read, because it tends to take over my life. Right now I reading Fire of the Covenant (I know, an old book). But it is so awesome that it falls right about the time we are getting ready to celebrate pioneer day, and my son has to give his first talk in 2 weeks on pioneer heritage. This book is taking me a long time, because I only read when I find literally about 15 minutes of down time a few times a day. Read on!!

Jessica said...

Yeah - now I can comment because I have a blog!

Sorry Jen, Mom & I already have first dibs on this one, it is the book for August for our book club. Looking forward to it, Amanda has talked a lot about it. :)

PS - I loved the previous post about Ella! I love that girl!

douglas hunter said...

Amanda,

You and Michele should start a support group. When that woman get her nose into a new book, that's it, everything else comes to a screeching hault!

I have not had time to read for months and a number of good books are calling to me from various shelves around the apartment.