Tuesday, February 10, 2009

a little Russian

I am blaming the lack of nice weather for all my shortcomings lately. why not? it can't complain or feel bad, right? regardless, my lack of regular posts is really the result of less than motivating indoor activity. TV watching and cleaning are not the stuff of blogs,at least not my blog. and I feel like that is all I am doing most days, that and trying to get out of my sweats before noon on a school day!

during this time of hiatus and winter we had the opportunity to host some Olympians. Special ones at that. this year was the second annual World Wide Winter Games - or the international Special Olympics.

and these are the two Russian girls who came to live with us for a week to acclimate to our western weather. Ksesia (cue-sha) and Irina are on the Russian snowshoe team. and they don't know any English. that made for lots of pantomime practice and some good laughs, besides the blank stares.



we did our best to show them a good time during their visit and we saw a lot of this during the course of a week. two practices a day and trying to squeeze in the sights and some fun. lots of busy busy fun.

but the highlights were had. they saw two temples, the Olympic ski jumps in Park City, had their own private dance party, and saw a Jazz game in beautiful Downtown SLC where they also visited the planetarium and our fine Gateway Center.

and they were well entertained by this good looking fellow and his "red sports machine". very well entertained, and what more can a Russian snow shoer ask for? it was an experience for all of us. we are very proficient in our use of babel fish on yahoo, and they went away with a few more American words as well. now that they have gone I am more and more anxious to travel somewhere. but not to Russia right away, I hear it's cold there this time of year.




8 comments:

Jenny and Josh said...

I think it is so cool that you guys did this!!

Katie said...

I love it that you've spent your time this way, and I'm jealous-and I hope we can do it together next year, and I'm SO GLAD you've posted something. REading your blog is like getting a really great phone call from you-I feel so connected!

Teisha said...

What a fun experience! So neat for your girls to get a taste of another culture. Sorry we missed you! I heard you were pretty busy and we just ran out of time. Really wanted to see your beautiful house! Looks amazing from the outside1

Lisa Cannon said...

That is so great! What a great opportunity for your family. I'll bet the girls loved it - and Johnny, too!

Gayle said...

I too am so happy you have posted again! Hope you have time to do a good journal entry or two about the Russians coming. I know it was a lot of work for you, but really worth while in the scheme of things!

Nicole Hernandez said...

Preevyet! and Padka! That's all the Russian I know-how did you get that opportunity to host? That is cool!

Michele said...

What a great opportunity! Sounds like fun. Miss you guys.

JDM said...

Welcome back!
It's good to see you at it again.
And what an amazing experience. Sounds like one to cherish.