Wednesday, March 26, 2008

a daily dose of art


many of you are aware that John comes from an artistic family. his father is an architect, his mother crafts gorgeous quilts, a sister paints on and off, a brother paints incessantly, and an aunt paints daily. obviously he was blessed in that way as well, and all of their talents are displayed some where in our home, whether on a wall, a bed, or in a frame, their talents grace our lives daily. for each graduation and wedding Johns aunt, Serena, has been commissioned to paint a portrait of each of the siblings. there are some amazing portraits displayed in my in laws home. the painting above was the result of some detail photos Serena took for the wedding portrait she completed when John and I were married. we were not lucky enough to acquire this painting at the time, but we are lucky to have one of her paintings, a traded gift. and we know we got the better end of that bargain. I am already looking forward to the time I can commission her to create portraits of our lovely ladies as well. but as that is a very long way off I will continue to enjoy her work digitally. recently Serena began a blog dedicated to her craft. smaller works available for your immediate viewing and purchasing pleasure. please feel free to take a gander and enjoy her talent as I do, here.

4 comments:

Molly said...

What wonderful talents...I love the ballerina paintings your aunt does. So fun!

Serena Potter said...

Thanks Amanda! You made my day. I'd be happy to trade paintings for some handy work on our house! Tell John you can all come for the weekend and he can help Franz with this and that! :)

Unknown said...

thanks for leaving the link Mandy-so nice to see you post today. I'm missing you, can't wait to see you. And I'm dying to just hear your voice too-so call me.

Lisa Cannon said...

I wish that I could draw or paint. I'm not very artsy at all, and I wish I was. That painting is amazing. I'll have to check out her site.