Wednesday, September 5, 2007

206 Miles to GO!


This summer has been spent in much anticipation for John and I. Starting Early last spring John began training for a 200+ mile bike ride at the end of the summer. The ride is Called the LOtoJA (the LO to JA, or Latoja if you like it to roll off the tongue). The race starts in Logan Utah and crosses threes state lines to end in Jackson Wyoming. Long way to go on a bike.

John has spent time every morning riding his bike, and most of the day each Saturday. He has also completely changed his physique to enable him to ride farther with less effort; losing 30 pounds since last March. All summer long I have tried hard to be supportive of John's training. Giving up any chance of my own to be in good physical shape, allowing him to spend big bucks on the right bike shorts, and creams, and computers. And just holding my tongue when I would rather scream than ask, "how was your ride?" I never thought we would finally get here, and we could move on from training for the big one, but it is finally here! I really am so proud of him and his amazing biking body! He's always been really cute, but now ooh la la! That, so far has been the greatest benefit. My now ultra fit hubby!

Well, the count down ends Saturday Morning! We have been plotting and planning all week long, figuring out drive times for me and the girls so we can meet him at rest stops. Calculating calorie intake and output so he will be properly fueled. Estimating how fast he needs to ride to make his time goal (he has to ride close to 20 miles per hour!) And I am trying to keep my mind here in the present. So easily I could begin to panic over how, now that we can share the morning shift, am I gonna get fit again? Or how is this going to affect him as he tries to shift gears and then we hit his next big thing, skiing. Oh, the butterflies I feel as I am writing this down! I know he can do this - one reason I fell in love with him is because he just gets things done. And he is ready to do this thing!

Please remember Johnny and his JSA Team (Amber, Patrick, and John Sr. too) in your prayers this weekend! And pray for me, and our girls and April, too - a day alone in the car with kids racing between rest stops! Wish us all a quick and safe arrival! I'll keep you posted!

GO JOHNNY! You CAN Do It! We Believe in YOU! TAKE LUCK!

9 comments:

Jessica said...

Whooo Hooo! Here it is, the big one. Good luck Johnny!

Now we can ride AJ - how does Monday, Wednesday & Saturday sound? :) I am excited to have you back as my riding companion!

heidi said...

That is soo awesome. What a great family memories you will have from this. I wish him (and you) luck on this adventure. Take pics. Have fun!

Katie said...

Good luck! and have fun

Potters said...

I think you're nuts. But good luck anyway!

Serena

Potters said...

that was directed at Johnny, his Dad and the other crazy Shirleys.

Michele said...

So. . . HOW DID IT GO?!?!? All we heard is that Amber crashed at 125 and did not finish :-(. Hope everyone else did alright.

John said...

Congrats! I assume it went well. I never had any doubt for John. I'm not going to ooh la la about his bod though. I hope this means you get some time in the saddle now.

Jessica said...

What happened, what happened?

Gayle said...

We are heppily anxious to hear all about it. We know Johnny can make it...we just want details. I had no idea this was a family thing! I must communicate better and listen more...but I have been in my own little world of hospitals and doctors and Boise and Lamp co. and Home. But I am in the present now for a while and hope to catch up. Thank you so much for all the help you have been with Alexander! Wow, I knew it was a burden but you bore it so well even as you were so busy getting ready for this event. Thank you Amanda and Johnny, Words can not express my gratitude! What would I do without you and Jenny and Josh. Thank you. And ride like the wind Johnny and JSA! Love Mom